This is a recipe for making suitable chicken as a food offering for Eshu and other similar deities and spirits. Traditions vary, and there are many ways of making it. It is said that Eshu multiplies himself and that everyone has their own Eshu. In addition, Eshu lives in every doorway, border, corner, and in between place.
Generally though, he likes things sweet and spicy, but on the level of a child or elder who is used to spicy things. So go for flavorful but not super-hot.
This recipe is for one normal offering or 3 servings, but for a serious matter, you want to give him the equivalent of 3 chickens. If it is possible, the chicken should be male, but it is okay if this is not available. Try to pick the largest leg and thighs or the chicken with the biggest ones.
- 3 rooster leg and thigh quarters
- .5 cup prepared catsup
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon palm oil or ghee
- .5 teaspoon chili powder or flakes
- .5 teaspoon black pepper
- .5 teaspoon white pepper
For: 3 pieces | Cooking time: 1 h |Ready in: 1 h 5 min
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Lay your chicken out in a baking tray, skin side down, reflecting on the fact that at least 2 chickens gave their lives for this. Arrange them so the foot ends touch in the center so that the biggest part is on the outside. They are recently passed, and will take your sentiments to the other side as they are broken down and converted to energy by whatever or whoever eats them.
- Mix the catsup, soy sauce, oil, and honey and spices in a small bowl. Whisk or stir them briskly until they are somewhat emulsified or combined very well.
- Pour the sauce you just made over the chicken and move things around so they are fully covered.
- Cover the chicken in baking paper and aluminum foil.
- Bake the chicken for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and paper, turn the chicken over so the skin side is up, and bake for 15-20 more minutes.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving to Eshu or one of his earthly representatives.
We have had very good success with this recipe at Ile Baalat Teva. I hope it pleases your Eshu as well.
Blessings and Ashé!
This site is protected by aggressive psychospiritual forces. Please be courteous and give proper attribution, credit, and royalties where appropriate if you republish any of this content. Failure to do so may result in very dire consequences. If you are suffering any of said consequences because you or someone you are associated with has stolen from me, please write me to apologize and receive instructions for cleansing. Ashe!