It is based on a very rich bechamel cheese sauce. If it’s available, you want to use a medium to sharp cheddar as one of the cheeses, but one of the most perfect cheeses is Ukrainian Rozsiskiy. So I thought this is a good time to post this since the people of Ukraine are fighting for their lives right now. Without them, the world is missing a bit of what makes for real joy in life.
The beauty of this photo is mainly due to its topping with Rozsiskiy cheese. How wonderfully golden and fitting for an offering for Oshun in the diaspora. May the people of Ukraine heal and recover from the brutality of this war. Ashe!
- casserole dish
- deep frying pan
- large pot
- 500 gram macaroni (mixed shapes including shells if possible)
- 250 gram cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 250 gram mozarella cheese (shredded)
- 500 milliliter goat milk (room temperature)
- 200 gram butter
- 5 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or seasoned salt or chicken soup powder)
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash sweet paprika
- 5 pieces Rozsiskiy cheese (or Gouda if you can't find it)
- water (for the pasta and to thin the cheddar sauce if needed)
- drizzle honey
- For: 5 serving
- Preparation: 30 min
- Cooking: 40 min
- Ready in: 1 h 10 min
- Boil the pasta until it is al dente, then rinse it in cold water to stop it cooking. Set it aside for the moment. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Heat the butter in the pan, and then add the flour, salt, and pepper to it. Stir it around until the flour is well coated in the butter.
- Add the milk slowly while stirring. You may need a wire wisk to break up any lumps. Keep whisking until it is hot enough that you see a bit of steam.
- Gradually add the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses to the sauce. If it becomes too thick, add hot water until you have a pourable sauce about the thickness of catsup. Keep whisking until you see the first bubbles as if it is going to start boiling. Then turn the heat off.
- Grease a casserole dish with butter. Then begin layering macaroni, then cheese sauce, then macaroni then cheese sauce.
- Lay the 5 slices of Rozsiskiy cheese on top to cover the surface.
- Bake for 30 minutes then check to see if it is brown enough. It will probably need 10 more minutes, but sometimes with offering food, things happen.
- Let it set until it is warm before serving to Oshun. It should be drizzled or brushed lightly with honey.
This is a favorite of our offering ceremonies here in Ile Baalat Teva. There is rarely any left. It even goes quickly when we leave some out to Nature. Feel free to add your own touches to this.
Blessings and Ashé!
Click here for audio instructions.
This site is protected by aggressive psychospiritual forces. Please be courteous and give proper attribution, credit, and royalties where appropriate if you republish any of this content. Failure to do so may result in very dire consequences. If you are suffering any of said consequences because you or someone you are associated with has stolen from me, please write me to apologize and receive instructions for cleansing. Ashe!